Thursday, March 18, 2010

Volunteering

I have been lucky enough to have some great chances to volunteer with some wonderful organizations. In high school , I got to be at the old Hansen Planetarium, and a local hospital. Now that I am all grown up, I am a volunteer with the Ronald McDonald House, and starting soon I will be with March of Dimes. I am so lucky to be able to work with these awesome groups. Ronald McDonald House, I hope I never need you, I know how very fortunate I am to have wonderful medical care at my finger tips. World class children's hospital and a world class cancer center with in a 30 minute drive. And while I hope that I never step foot in your doors, I am so grateful to know that you are there. Ronald McDonald House is there for those families that are not close to these medical centers. The Houses serves families who's children are receiving care at our great hospitals. These families only have to be over 35 miles from home to use the House, but many are from much farther than that. The house, offers a place to stay, a warm meal and usually someone to talk to. For many it is a life saver. I love my work with the Gala committee, this is my 5th year.
A friend of mine, that I have worked with on the Ronald McDonald House Gala for a number of years has now invited me to work with her on the March of Dimes Gala. I am thrilled to be given this chance. I think my husband may want to poke me in the eye with a red hot needle, but given that the boys in our family seem to like to arrive early, this is one organization that is beyond near and dear to my heart. My cousin's daughter was part of the March of Dimes study on surfactant (a medicine they use on preemie babies to help their lungs) some 20 years ago, and amazingly enough that is the same medicine that they gave Nathan shortly after he was born. I never intended to have a preemie baby, I am pretty darn sure that no one ever does, and that is what makes March of Dimes all the more important to me. They not only are trying to figure out why babies come early, but they also work to figure out what they can do to give those babies their best chance. I have a beautiful, strong and health son (and twin nephews, too) and in some part I am sure it had to do with March of Dimes, so I am honored to be part of their team!

1 comment:

Alison said...

Good for you for doing so much good. I find myself volunteering too much myself. Jon often finds himself wondering why I'm always cooking for other people and not for our family.
My main thing right now is PTA which takes up lots of time but it is nice to see all the good it does. plus Bri love that I'm at her school so much. The riding school she goes to is also a non-profit that does theraputic riding and some programs for special needs kids. SO I help her with fund raising.
I'm working on a baby blanket for you. Hopefuly I can get it done byt he end of next week. I'll let you know.