Sunday, October 25, 2009

Winco Foods

I made my maiden voyage to Winco Foods late Saturday night. I waited until 9:30 on Saturday night on purpose. I has heard rumor of the lines and seen some of the proof on the evening news. The mailman brought tell of the deals that were available. 12 pack pepsi for 1.98, carpi sun for 97 cents, and a few other things that I figured were probably worth the trip, but I was going to wait until the last possible second to go, which I did. The sale ended Sunday, I made it with a few hours to spare. First things first. The store was large and clean, well stocked and the isles looked nice enough. But it truly has a feel of a Costco or Sam's club, and they have this huge wall of product as you walk in that is reminiscent of the "wall of value" at Macey's that was awful and they finally took down....hint to Winco....follow Macey's lead here! That wall made it nearly impossible to get thru the freaks who apparently had never been to a grocery store before and had to stop and stare. Good grief! When I finally made it thru that stupid entrance, it opened up into a nice and bright store, lead by a fairly large produce department. It looked good, and I would have loved to have considered some of their products, but I had already done a real shopping trip this week and was not in need of produce. The layout of the store was kind of odd, and I really never made it to all of them. I had no desire to fight the people. I did notice a rather large bulk section, that under better circumstances, I would have liked to shop. They had the regular things like flour and oats, but also rice flours, cereal, and even cereal bars that could be purchased individually.But once again, the crazies were out and I was not about to contend with them. I got the items I was after and got out. There was a line to checkout, and so before I got into the line, I hit the magazine rack and picked up a couple of smut mags to keep me occupied. Winco did keep the line moving nicely. I only made it thru one magazine before it was my turn. And I consider that to be remarkable considering the uber dorks in front of me in the actual checkout line. There was one person having their groceries rung up, them and then me. They were a family of 5 and about every 30 seconds they came back with another arm load of &^%$. I bit my tongue until it bleed. Get the hell out of line if you are still shopping!!! Is it that hard......never mind I already know the answer.

So, my 2 cents on WINCO is this.....It was alright. You really have to watch things, because they have weird sizes and prices. I almost bought some fabric softener, it was 2.98...not bad until I realized it was only 26 loads and I usually pay 4.50 for 60 loads. And everything is priced and 2.47 or 98 cents. That can throw you off. My advice it to take a calculator and watch out. I might make a trip if something is on sale, but I won't be going way out of my way to shop there. Oh, and you cannot use a credit card! Cash, Debit and check only! And, you bag your own groceries.....a plus in my book.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Call me a snob, but my time is worth more the money I would save. I am lucky that I can shop where I want. I have been told by many that I'm crazy to shop at Albertons and tell me how much I could save other places, but it is close and their customer service can't be beat. Thier produce guy is so cute to special order whatever I ask for and always gives my girls a banana to eat while we shop which they think is so great. And once one of my kids lost a stuffed animal, and they put out and APB on the loud speaker to find it. To me it's worth it.

JM said...

Alison, I am with you. Just had to give it a try.

AMPM said...

Oooh I get burned when they make the packages smaller.......like I won't friggin notice!!!