Wednesday, September 21, 2011

And we are CRUISIN' part 1

We took a little family vacation last week. Oh, alright, it was a big family vacation. Big trip, new adventure. Lots of family. We took a 7 night cruise to Mexico with the Hub's family. Parents-in-law and siblings-in-law. Actually that only adds four to our count of four.


Anyway, the eight of us jumped on a boat (ship....big old honkin' ship) and made our way down the coast. First, let me tell you that I was a little concerned to be sailing with 2 small children. It was not ever as bad as my mind made it out to be. The SHIP (Carnival Splendor) was more then ready for them and they were beyond taken care of, along with the rest of us. Everyone we had one on one contact with were awesome with the kids. Our room stewards and wait staff were amazing. I think it helped we had a ocean view stateroom. The window was really quite large and the kids loved to crawl up in the opening and just stare at the water.....this is especially true of Nathan (and Greg). Our room was large enough we were not stepping all over each other, and it also helped the Greg's parents were right next door and our rooms connected. Score. There also was the magical thing they call Camp Carnival. I suppose you could look at it as a kind of glorified daycare, but for my kids, it was there chance to get away from us. To go play with the other kids and do all the fun things the staff had planned for them. Everything from movies to art projects to towel creations to video games. They loved it. Nathan asked to go nearly everyday, and by the mid part of the week so was Alex. Greg and I are not big partyers (a shocking revelation I am sure) so we never did the paid part of Camp which ran from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. and I will hold my tongue as to my feelings on the whole thing, because I really didn't need to use it. I was lucky enough to have 2 other sets of parents on board for my kids, should they be necessary. And, I suppose I did use them, on a number of nights we tucked the kids and grandparents into bed and went out to the movie, or the show or bingo. But I would not likely have done that had my wonderful in-laws not been there. But the kids were good, they loved the trip. Heck the tooth fairy even found Nathan when he lost his top tooth while biting into a burrito the first full day of the cruise.

No comments: