Saturday, July 25, 2009

Soapbox (again)...

OkAy, so as I was blog surfing one night when I should have been doing dishes or laundry or whatever other mundane household duty that was calling my name, I came accross a post by a woman whose car had been stole out of her garage. Now, in and of itself, there is not a whole lot that can be done about that, per say. But the part that made me want to shake her, was the fact that she had made it the motherlode for the crook. Not only had she left her keys in the car, but her purse too. Seriously, I thought, people do that?
So one day as my friend (she knows who she is, and I will not reveil her here due to the following) and I sat at Mcdonald's while the kids played in the playland, I told her the story and I nearly fell off my chair when she gave me a sly smile and said she leaves her items in the car all the time so she doesn't forget them. SERIOUSLY! Now I am not a genius, but let us think this thru.....you just gave the theif, not only your car, with the keys, but also your house keys, your work keys (if you have such things), and ha yes, your wallet and all its contents. And maybe even a contact list or planner with your schedule in it. Now I am not trying to harp on anyone (okay, so I might be a little bit) but really are the 2 minutes you just "saved" by having your keys and purse in the car worth the problems that will come if they are stolen? I am thinking, not so much. I have neighbors down around the bend that this happened to, and they said the cost alone in having to change ALL the locks to their house, was not only expensive but also a pain in the hiney! So people PLEASE! Don't leave your crap in the car. I just want to save you from a worse headache than is necessary. And to my friend, you know I love you!

1 comment:

Jann said...

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I want to launch into a lecture every single time I take a call about it. I have a friend who just had her wallet, containing $600 in cash, stolen.

It's the world's biggest hassle when these things get stolen; it's even worse when you factor in the DOZENS of work hours you just created for other people. And no, that isn't what they are there for. I could go on, but I won't. Obviously I can spare you the lecture because you and I agree. :)