Saturday, July 4, 2009

4th of July

Happy 4th of July. I am a bit of a patriotic dolt. My kids are both wearing Old Navy flag tee's we are having a bbq with the fam this afternoon (even if the heavens open and we have a down pour.) and I will cry today when I hear the national anthem. My grandparents (on my mom's side) both imigrated to this nation in the past 100 years or so. We are still really new to this country by some standards. But the one thing the fourth always makes me think of is my cousins. Not becasue of some weird family thing, but becasue I have 2 cousins who have chosen to give it all to the ARMY. Max and Zeke are twins that are 6 months older than I, so needless to say they are like brothers to me. I think it was pretty clear from the time we were old enough to figure out that we had to have jobs when we were adults, that these 2 would end up in the armed forces some where, some how. I cannot help but worry about them and what they are up to. This year, on the 4th, I am fortunate to not have to worry so much. They are both stateside for a change. Max, the apache helicopter pilot, is back from a stint in Korea. While Zeke, the Captain, is back from a very long stay in Afganistan. Both in my opinion are home from very nasty places, at a very good time. They have both said that they envy me for my family. I always tell them that without them and what they do, my family would not be what it is, safe, happy and free to be together. I don't think they ever hear enough how much what they do means to anyone, especially me. I am so greatful, and more than that blessed that they are safe and unscathed. So to all those souls who have served out nation (that includes my step-dad the Navy diver, my step-brother the Navy man, my uncles who have served and even my cute dad-in-law, and anyone I missed) THANK YOU. Know that I appreciate you and what you have done.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Joey! These types of comments mean so much to those of us who have family serving in the military. I'm grateful to have this day with Jay since later this month he'll be leaving for 6 months for another deployment. Thanks and Happy 4th of July!