Thursday, November 12, 2009

Baby Days!

I think it is safe to say that the baby days are over at our house. Alexandra is very nearly 2 years old. She long ago gave up bottles, night time wakenings, and the need for me to do all things for her. She has started to tell us when she has a stinky diaper. And she is already fighting naps. I look back with much love at the baby daze, but I don't think I am going to miss it. Which I find a bit strange considering how long I waited for the baby stage. I remember from the moment we got married I wanted kids. Hell, even before we were married, during the longest engagment on record, I wanted to have babies with Greg. When we did finally get married, I knew the waiting was not over. I knew that it was still not the right time....Greg had just gotten accepted into his professional program at then University of Utah, and that it was going to be 3 long years, and a lot of stress, before graduation would be upon us. So I put it all on the back burner and waited. And then we waited one more year after graduation just to safe. I remember finding out we were pregnant with Nathan, right before our fourth wedding anniversary. It was the most amazing, frightening thing ever! Having a pregnancy, that up until the 7th month was so easy, and then watching the whole thing fall apart in front of my eyes. Realizing that I was giving birth 6 weeks early, to a baby, who I knew was not ready. But giving all my faith to the doctor to make the right call, and to God to do what was necessary. I will save you all the tale of Nathan's birth and first weeks in the hospital. ( you can read about them in my May 2009 post titled "4 years ago...") And then, 3 years later, when I was pregnant with Alexandra and we all kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and it never did, except for the c-section at 11:30 at night becasue after 13 hours we were pretty darn sure that her head was never going to fit. I love my children. They truly are the best things Greg and I have ever done. They have made our family what it is, and for all that I am forever greatful. That said, it is somehow a little bittersweet to know that we are done. But I am very contented with that decision. Long before we had kids, we knew we only wanted 2. It didn't matter if they were both one sex or the other or whether we got one of each. As it turned out we got one of each for which I am still suprised. I was sure, despite being told she was a she, I had a nagging thought in the back of my mind that she was going to be a boy. Clearly I was WRONG on that one, but I am so happy with what I was given. As I sit here, now, and watch them 2 of them playing together on the family room floor, I am very content. I love a good baby as much as the next person, but I am happy my babies are now a toddler and a pre-schooler.

1 comment:

Jann said...

Technically her gender is girl, but I think you were correct. You seem to have a little tomboy on your hands!