Saturday, April 12, 2008

My 2 Monkeys

Alex is now 10 weeks old, weighs a little over 12 pounds and still is suffering from reflux....so the book that says it should let up after the baby weighs more than 11 pounds is a big fat liar. We took her to the doctor this past friday and I am still just as frustrated as when I walked in the door, maybe even more so. The zantac doesn't last but 6 hours (not the twelve it is supposed to) and the prevacid creates a much larger problem in the lower GI tract that leads to awful bloating and gas for her. So after chatting with her Dr. (I think the world of him) the decision was made that maybe I should remove all dairy from my diet...now this may not seem like much, but one must consider that a good bowl of cereal is the last bit of joy that was left in my life. I have already given up soda-pop (all of it not just the caffinated kind, if it fizzes it is out), coffee, and chocolate, so now no milk, cheese, yogurt, nada nothing..........it will be grand. I know that we make sacrifices for our children, but if I have to give up powedered donuts, I quit. I give up and throw my hands up in the air.
Nathan is a crazy three year old. He doesn't just like things, he is crazy for them. We have only had two obsessions at this point, but they run true and deep. His first love was Thomas the Tank Engine. It started when he was about 18 months old, and is still going strong, with the exception being that it has grown to include all trains. Put the kid where he can watch trains go by and he will watch for hours on end. It doesn't matter if it is along side highway 6 in the canyon, or at Aunt Heather's house sitting on the playground. He is mesmerized. Our second great obsession is STAR WARS, and not just the movies...mind you he has seen all 6 (and really watched them)... he loves the toys, calls his baby sister LEIA and himself Luke. And if it ended there it would be a child who enjoys a movie, but he has sheets for his bed....they are close to thirty years old and were once my cousins and brothers.....and has assigned characters to half my family. He calls me Chewbaca, his dad is Han Solo, his gran switches between OB wan Kanobi and R2D2, Papa in a "nice" general, Uncle Pete is Jaba the Hut (we all laughed so hard at that one) and Aunt KeAnne is Padme. and he will call you by your character instead of your name or title. You should see the looks we get in the grocery store when he yells out "Chewy..can we have (whatever)" and I actually answer. It is so funny and pretty darn cute.

1 comment:

AMPM said...

I love that Nate likes Star Wars! I can't make it through one of them without falling asleep.
Reflux for us has never let up before 11 months. Max just had a sweet attack last night and puked all over me in bed. I think he may have just outgrown his last dose. He seems to suffer quite a bit during the night. Sadly I have never cut anything from my diet, except milk and that was with Jack. Didn't do a lick of good. Good luck cutting out grilled cheese, that should be like cutting your head off.